On October 12, 2021, the Sisters of the Holy Cross entered a seven-year commitment to move toward total sustainability as outlined by the Laudato Si′ Action Platform. Below is their commitment pledge.
For more than 20 years—in harmony with the tenets of Laudato Si′ and its spirit of integral ecology—the Congregation has articulated its commitment to ecological sustainability, right relationship with all creation, and systemic change. We have done so through our corporate stands, the Family of Holy Cross Statement on Climate Change, and the many creative and responsive programs envisioned by our sisters and partners in ministry.
In response to our 2019 General Chapter call to be “witnesses to God’s transforming love for the life of the world,” we now publicly commit to Pope Francis’ appeal to participate in a seven-year journey toward sustainability and integral ecology by developing a Congregational Laudato Si’ Action Plan.
Act today for a better tomorrow
Promote human dignity and restore our planet. Join Us in our urgent work to create a sustainable and just future by signing up with the Laudato Si’ Action Platform. Our time is now.
This commitment marks our willingness:
- To take up the “urgent appeal” of Laudato Si′ to listen and respond to the cry of the Earth and the cry of the poor by making it a community priority;
- To further ongoing ecological conversion by bringing our members, colleagues, institutions, and those we serve into greater understanding of their mission to foster integral ecology throughout our global society;
- To integrate each of the seven Laudato Si′ goals into our lives and ministries by developing a systematic process to transition to an integral ecology;
- To take bold concrete actions in the spirit of Laudato Si′ to address the multiple crises afflicting our common home – the planet and its people.
- To practice nonviolence, as we reconcile and heal the pain in creation and sow hope for peace.
This commitment is made in deep trust, knowing that we are participating in God’s work of transformation “for we know that things can change” (LS 13).
Sister M. Veronique (Wiedower), CSC
October 12, 2021